USS South Dakota (BB-49)
USS South Dakota (BB-49) was the lead ship of her class of battleships, the second United States Navy ship to be named in honor of the 40th state. Her keel was laid down on 15 March 1920 by the New York Navy Yard. Her construction was suspended on 8 February 1922 at 38.5 percent complete, and canceled 17 August 1923 in accordance with the provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty. She was sold to the Steel Scrap Corporation of Philadelphia, on 25 October 1923 for scrapping on the slipway. Her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 10 November 1923. Her scrapping was reported completed on 15 November 1923.